Party wall surveys how do I know if I need one?

Building Defect Dilapidation Surveys

Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

Party Wall etc. Act 1996 – What do I need to do?

If you are planning to undertake any building works, the following flow chart provides an overview of the process you will need to follow. This is provided for general  guidance only, please contact one of our members for expert advice  specific to your needs.

Note the following flowchart is best viewed on a larger screen. Click here to download a pdf version.

What is a party Wall Act?

If an owner wishes to undertake works that fall within the remit of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 then it is their statutory duty to inform their neighbour(s) by serving a party wall notice.


● Work on an existing wall, ceiling or floor structure shared with another property?
● Building on or at the boundary with another property?
● Excavating near a neighbouring building or structure?

If you’ve answered yes to any of the above then the Act does apply, and you must take action.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.